Monday, September 29, 2008

Twenty Years and Counting "Happy Anniversary"

Twenty Years!
(My beautiful Roses from my husband)

David has been working in Conn. for the past 5 weeks and I had no idea when he would be coming home. His contract is a 5 month contract. At 3:30 am on Friday am,( the am of the 26th, our anniversary) David called me and told me I needed to check the front door. Being dead asleep, I respond What?? He repeats, go check your front door. I get out of bed, Taylor (who is my lightest sleeper) says, mom? what is going on?? I respond, daddy says to check the front door, she follows me to the door and guess who is standing at the door? Yes, David. I couldn't believe it, he surprised me by driving 10 hours after a 9 hour workday to be home in time to celebrate our anniversary. I really enjoy surprises, not that he has been able to pull off very many. (I am very nosey). He really got me, I was stunned and very happy to see him.

( I never have my photo taken and it seems that when someone does take it I am never ready)
(YUCK!)

It seems like yesterday that David and I went to the courthouse to get married. We had our wedding planned for December 17 1988. I went to the doctor because I had found 3 lumps in my left breast. I was only twenty years old. What were they? Where did they come from? and Why are they there? At this time I had no health insurance due to changing jobs and would not have any for 3 more months, my doctor advised me not to wait that long. I did not have the money to pay upfront for the biopsy, after all I had already paid everyone for the wedding that was to take place in December. David's job at the time had a policy that if we were married before the end of the month we would have full health coverage on the 1st day on the next month. So, David and I talked to our families and they were all for us going to the courthouse and getting hitched having the biopsy and then waiting til December for our church wedding, but, we were to keep it hush hush. Well, we talked to David's 83 year old grandmother and my sister (Rhonda) and asked them to go with us. So the morning of September 26th 1988 we went to the courthouse with them and were married, David's grandmother signed our marriage certificate and since Rhonda wasn't 18yrs old yet, we had to have one of the ladies at the courthouse sign as a witness and they let Rhonda sign next to her name. We had our church wedding in December of 1988.


We have 3 wonderful children and look forward to the next 20 years!

2 comments:

Rochelle said...

Hi Tricia! Happy 20th Anniversay!! That is a wonderful accomplishment! What a nice surprise from your husband too. Thanks for tracking me down! It is great to hear from you!! I guess I do look a little different than 22 yrs ago or so huh? Thanks for giving me your blog link....I'll be 'following' you now! :)

JenLo said...

What a STORY!! Congrats! We'll be 20 this coming summer!